Senior Urban Planner
One Works is seeking an accomplished, articulate professional urban designer with 10+ years of experience. The Senior Urban Planner position is a merit-based post offered to qualified candidates who have demonstrated the necessary leadership and management skills to fulfill this role. The Senior Designer’s primary responsibility is to manage projects, oversee the development of design ideas, and direct their team’s daily operations. A component of teaching and production responsibilities are also required.
Responsibilities (Essential Job Functions or Duties and responsibilities):
- Lead the project team
- Promote teamwork among team members
- Be accountable for the successful completion of projects
- Seek out leadership roles and speaking opportunities in professional organizations
- Manage contracts, track project budgets, and organize schedules
- Prepare and maintain team task lists
- Oversee development and execution of design ideas
- Review and prepare project invoices and cover letters
- Oversee the final production of deliverables
- Redline reports and drawings
- Assist principals and associates with report writing
- Mentor junior team members
- Managing complex planning studies and development applications; reviews applicant proposals; reviews and processes land development regulation amendments, re-zonings, site plans.
- May conduct long-range planning assignments; performs special projects originating from the City Council.
- Provides work direction to less experienced planning staff.
- Understanding of placemaking and community design (building, street, and public space types plus associated principles)
- Ability to communicate verbally, in writing, and through drawings
- Adeptness at hand drawing and sketching
- Demonstrated creative ability, including urban, architectural, and graphic design
- Project organization and management expertise
- Community engagement capabilities
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite, GIS and AutoCAD
Education, Experience, Certification, and Licensure:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in urban design, city planning, architecture, or landscape architecture
- 10 years professional experience
- Experience working in Italy and international context
- Enrollment in the official architect registry (Italy or abroad)
- Design background and LEED AP or Green Associate (optional)
Key challenges You May Face in this Position
- Undertaking a place based approach to land use planning that achieves integrated planning
- Identifying and resolving issues in a timely manner to maintain quality service delivery and a positive customer experience.
- Managing consultations and negotiations with diverse stakeholders to achieve outcomes within agreed timelines, given their varying expectations, viewpoints and interests.